The Twitter Game: Rules for having a successful corporate Twitter campaign

4 Apr

 

 

Twitter has become an increasingly popular social media. People are using their “tweets” to network with each other, celebrities, businesses, politicians, and anyone or anything else that can be found on Twitter. This is no different for corporate businesses. Corporations have set up Twitter accounts to promote business ventures and events to a mass numbers of people. Twitter also allows the public to share their feedback with the corporation. Twitter can be a very useful tool for corporations, but it has also proven not to work for every corporation. Several corporations have attempted to run campaigns on Twitter and have failed miserably. However, there are ways to have a successful corporate social media campaign on Twitter.

Here are 3 rules corporations can follow for a successful Twitter campaign:

■Set up a hash tag that will allow the public’s opinion to be voiced, but have a social media professional monitoring the content. Also make sure the hash tag can be clearly identified with the corporation to make sure there isn’t any confusion.

There have been several cases of mistaken identity when it comes to Twitter hash tags. The corporation must make sure that people know that the hash tag that is set up by the company so there won’t be any confusion on how the hash tag should be used. Also, the social media professional should monitor the content. Any content that is inappropriate or has nothing to do with the corporation should be removed. Entenmann’s Baked Goods Company is an example of a hash tag gone wrong. Entenmann’s used the hash tag #notguilty. This was a mistake because they didn’t use it at an appropriate time. The Casey Anthony trial was going on at that time and people got confused about the hash tag and began to post about the trial using #notguilty.

■Become a Twitter trending topic…for the right reason.

The corporation is using Twitter to reach the masses. The best way to reach a large number on Twitter is to become a trending topic. People like to chime in on trending topics and the more people talk about it, the more promotion the corporation has. And by getting other people to do the promoting, it saves the corporation money and builds reputation for the corporation. However, a corporation must become a trending topic for the right reasons. Subway, for example, has run a very successful Twitter campaign by becoming a promoted trending topic. Its Five Dollar Footlong hash tag has also proven to be successful.

■Follow the 80/20 rule.

The 80/20 rule is very simple. 80% of the time share information about current events, news, entertainment, and other things people are interested in. The other 20% of the time promote the corporation. People have a tendency not to like when people or a corporation constantly shares information about themselves; this is why people unfollow certain Twitter pages. By sharing information people would want to know, people will rely on the corporation’s page and when the corporation does promote itself people are more likely to pay attention. A good example of this is Puritan Dry Cleaners. Puritan Dry Cleaners posts a lot of information dealing with things people want to know about, such as the weather, deals on saving, and interesting articles.

These 3 rules have proven to work. Still, sometimes Twitter campaigns fail. In the occurrence that the Twitter campaign does fail, there are some things that can be done. The corporation can completely stop using Twitter and stick to traditional promoting or it can delete the existing Twitter page and start over with a new strategy. Either way, the corporation must reevaluate the way it is using Twitter and whether or not it is useful in the ventures it is perusing.

Advertisements

One Response to “The Twitter Game: Rules for having a successful corporate Twitter campaign”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Rules for a successful Twitter campaign « Hdaledunavant's Blog - June 13, 2012

    […] Rules for initiating a social media campaign using Twitter: […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: